As you know, the food of choice with my little ones is pasta. Even though they change their minds about everything else, pasta still stands at the top of the podium and I can’t see it slipping down any time soon.
So I’m trying to be a little more creative with it. I’ve mentioned before that the girls loved the green smoothie because of the colour. So I thought I’d make a green pasta and see how it goes. I’m happy to tell you that it was a hit. See that chicken on the top of the photo? That wasn’t a hit and was placed on the table, a long way away from their bowls. But the rest of it was eaten up in all its glory. Give this a go, you may be surprised. I’ve cooked this a few times since and have added bacon for a little something different (once again the girls didn’t eat the meat but they ate the rest).
Don’t forget our competition for the ultra cool reusable sandwich bags and wraps. Click like on our facebook page and then post a comment here. It’s really too easy.
- 250g tube pasta
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 spring onions, diced
- 1 bunch of spinach, finely sliced
- 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbs butter
- 3 tbs flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- shredded BBQ chicken (optional)
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain, cover and set to one side.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and cook until soft. Add the spinach and water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a processor and blending to a sauce-like consistency. Set aside.
- Melt butter in the same saucepan you used for the spinach. Add flour and stir for about a minute, until combined. Slowly add in the milk and whisk until you get a thick sauce (you may not need all the milk). Stir in the cheese, then pour in the blended spinach and stir well. Add the cooked pasta, tossing to combine. If the pasta has cooled, warm slightly and, if using, top with shredded chicken to serve. Serves 6