Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Sweet potato balls


Here's a recipe that I have been wanting to try for a while now, my girls love food that they can pick up and eat. I was really surprised at not only how tasty these little morsels were but also how many my girls ate. Out of most of the dishes that I have made, these were probably the biggest hit. I thought the cumin and coriander might scare them, but I think the hummus took their attention away from the spicy taste. Enjoy.

PREP TIME
10 mins (plus 45mins roasting time for the sweet potatoes)

COOKING TIME
10mins

SERVES
6

INGREDIENTS
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 tsp cumin
2 small cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tsp ground coriander
juice ½ lemon
120g plain flour
splash of olive oil
sprinkling of sesame seeds
(Hummus to serve)



METHOD
1  Preheat the oven to 220C and roast the whole sweet potato until just tender (45mins– 1hr). Let the potatoes cool and peel.
2.  Once cool, mix the sweet potato, cumin, garlic, coriander, lemon juice, flour in a large bowl until smooth.
3.  Place the mixture into the freezer for 30mins to firm up. If the mixture is feeling a little wet, add a little more flour, so the mixture feels sticky.
4.  Heat the oven back up to 220C
5.  Place mixture into your hands and make little balls. Place each ball onto a lined baking tray. Sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds and bake in the oven for about 20mins, until the bases are golden brown. 
  
This recipe has been modified from one of my most used cookbooks LEON


2 comments:

  1. what a great recipe! i will have to try it.

    one thing though...you might want to change the prep time from 10 min -- if the sweet potatoes have to roast in the oven for an hour (plus cooling time.) for me that would mean adding more than an hour onto the prep time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good point, thank you. I have made that change.

    ReplyDelete