It’s so rare for me to write with an absolute success story but I have one. Who would have thought, and even more surprisingly, it contains turkey (not that my girls know about that!). Being the festive season I wanted to find some appropriate finger food to share around when we had guests over. So I had a play around with the old sausage rolls. I promise that I don’t tell a lie when I say that my girls love these. Normally when it comes to sausage rolls they eat the pastry and nothing else. Well not with these puppies, they love the whole kit and caboodle. I served these up again last night just to see if it was a fluke but I was greeted with empty plates, empty plates I tell you. Enough of my excitement, go to the shops, buy some turkey mince and get cracking.
- 3 slices wholemeal bread, crusts removed, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1kg turkey mince
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce, whole berry
- 75g tasty cheese, grated
- salt & pepper, optional
- 4 sheets frozen reduced-fat ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place bread into a large bowl, drizzle with water and allow to soak for 3 minutes. Drain and then squeeze water from bread.
- Combine bread, mince, onions cranberry sauce, cheese, and salt and pepper (optional) in a large bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Cut a sheet of pastry in half. Spoon 3/4 cup of turkey mixture along 1 long edge of pastry. Brush opposite edge with water. Roll up and firmly press to seal. Cut into 5 smaller rolls. Using a sharp knife, mark with lines in the top of each roll. Place onto prepared tray. Repeat with remaining turkey mixture and pastry.
- Brush rolls with egg and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Makes 40 small rolls
Fresh fact: These rolls tastes just taste like chicken and the cranberry sauce adds an appealing sweetness
Don’t forget to visit our facebook page
You will find this and many more of our recipes at the wonderful Woolworths Baby and toddler club here.