Friday, October 19, 2012

Chia seed banana bread and coconut sugar


When I started my very strict diet a few months ago, I stumbled upon coconut sugar, and even though I’m off the diet, we still use this beautiful product on a daily basis. Coconut sugar has loads of health benefits (listed below), but more importantly this sugary goodness also tastes so, so, so good (almost like toffee). You can use it just as you would use normal sugar. I probably wouldn’t make a sponge with it but it’s great for things like banana breads, muffins, stir fry’s and is great in coffee. For more information head to Loving earth (I’m not being sponsored for this, it’s just a great product that more people should know about).

Some of the health benefits are:
1. Compared to brown sugar, Coconut Sugar has twice the iron, four times the magnesium and over 10 times the zinc.
2. Its GI rating is 35. In comparison, most commercial Honeys are GI 55 and Cane Sugars are GI 68. Low GI ratings allow for a slow release of energy, efficiently fuelling your day-to-day activities and avoiding the “highs” and “lows” associated with most commercial sugars.
3. Cane Sugar Free 
Gluten free
Dairy free 
Low GI 
Vegan 
Fair Trade

Yesterday I was meeting some friends at the beach and wanted to take some banana bread, I didn’t have any eggs so I added more banana to the mixture. I also used coconut sugar instead of brown sugar and I added in some chia seeds and LSA (Linseed, almond and sunflower seed mix) for good measure. The outcome was great and it was really moist due to the extra banana. Next time I’ll turn these into muffins to save on baking time. 



Chai banana bread (no egg)

Prep time: 10 mins

Ingredients
21/2 cups self-raising flour
¾ cup coconut sugar (or brown)
1 cup milk
2 tbs butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 ripe bananas (mash 2)
¼ cup chia seeds (optional)
¼ cup LSA

     Method
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Combine all of the above ingredients. Mix until the mixture is completely moist and mixed through. 
    3. Pour into a lined loaf tin. Top with the extra banana on top.
    4. Bake for 30 - 40 mins.
 





2 comments:

  1. Hi. Just came across this recipe as i was looking for a vegan banana bread. I am just wondering whether you are referring to Chia seeds, as opposed to the chai seeds that are written in the recipe. Would sort of make more sense..
    The recipe sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, you are so right, i had the spelling totally wrong. Sorry about that. I hope you try this cake, we all loved it. Thanks for your feedback.

    ReplyDelete