Monday, October 15, 2012

Baked veggie spring rolls


When strangers get to witness my excitement when my girls consume a new variety of food, they can’t be blamed for thinking that I had just won the lotto. Yep, it’s the small things that bring me such joy, who needs the millions of dollars I ask you?! I had a big moment the other night when we were out for a Chinese meal (yep, people do still go out for Chinese), BOTH my girls loved the spring rolls. Sure they aren’t the healthiest of dishes but who cares, they tried something that didn’t have the words pasta involved.

Next supermarket shop I was out buying everything that I needed to recreate the spring roll in a healthier version. And now I share this recipe with you. I baked the rolls instead of frying and they tasted just as good, if not better. I was surprised at how easy these were to make. Let me know if you give these a try.

Preparation time
20 minutes

Cooking time
15 minutes

Ingredients
  • 100g dried rice vermicelli noodles
  • 1 tbs Homebrand Peanut Oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 4cm piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
  • 1/4 can water chestnuts, crushed
  • 1 large carrot, grated
  • 1/2 small Chinese cabbage (wombok), shredded
  • 14 large rice paper spring roll wrappers
  • 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
  • spray olive oil
  • plum sauce, to serve
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 200ÂșC.
  2. Place noodles in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain, and using scissors, cut into 4cm lengths. 
  3. Heat peanut oil in a wok over high heat. Add garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add chestnuts, carrot, cabbage and noodles. Stir-fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool. 
  4. Place 1 spring roll wrapper on workbench with 1 corner facing you. Place 2 tablespoons of filling across corner. Brush wrapper edges with egg yolk. Fold corner over filling, then roll up firmly, folding in edges. Press to seal. Place on a tray, then repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. Cover and refrigerate until required. 
  5. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place rolls onto the tray. Spray spring rolls with oil. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn. Spray with oil. Bake for 5 minutes or until lightly golden. Serves 7 (makes 14)

You can find this recipe and more from Toddler Tastes at the Woolworths baby and toddler club

2 comments:

  1. It so happens that I have a page open for my online grocery shop. I'm going to make these next week now. I really want my sons to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing then! Let me know how you go. We loved them, i think we might have them for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete