Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Homemade baked beans



The meal I struggle with most is breakfast. This sounds strange to some people but my little ones love cereal one minute and then hate it the next. Toast isn’t  popular and there’s only so much porridge that you can eat. So I thought I would try cooking my own baked beans. I’ll be the first to admit that this takes a lot more time than opening up a tin can but the taste is a million times better and it’s so much healthier. We make this on the weekend for those rare occasions that we can all sit around the table together in the morning. What’s your weekend meal? 

Serves
2 adults and 2 toddlers

Preparation time
5 minutes

Cooking time
40 minutes

Ingredients
1 tbs olive oil 
1 onion, peeled & finely chopped 
1 clove garlic, peeled & crushed 
1 tbs tomato paste 
200g diced Italian tomatoes 
2 tsp brown sugar 
400g cannellini beans, drained & rinsed 
200ml vegetable stock 

Method
1. Heat oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Gently cook the onion and garlic until soft. 
2. Add the tomato paste, tinned tomatoes, sugar, cannellini beans and the stock to the garlic and onion mix. 
3. Bring to the boil and then let the mixture simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the liquid evaporates too soon, add a little water. Season to taste. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks pretty unusual, but very intriguing to me. I am not sure if it will become the favorite family meal, but it will be the perfect way to vary our diet. Hope it will be just as delicious as it seems to be on this pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love baked beans and that version looks great! Our porridge alternative is muesli with yoghurt and frozen raspberries mushed in. I keep meaning to make bircher muesli one weekend.

    ReplyDelete