Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Homemade fish fingers



One of the most looked at items on this blog are the homemade chicken nuggets, I guess this isn’t surprising considering how popular they are with the littlies. Another all time fave with most families are fish fingers. I know it’s really easy to pull out some fish fingers out of the freezer, I admit to doing this all the time. Every time I do this I do feel a little guilty about the salt content and all of the additives. So I thought I would try to make my own. I promise that I’m not fibbing when I say that this was a lot easier than I was expecting. It didn’t take long at all. And the outcome was REALLY good. I don’t  really eat fish but I had these for dinner. They were so light and almost melted in my mouth (I bet you never thought you would hear those words when it comes to fish fingers!).

I was really worried that my girls would request for these to go straight into the bin but maybe it’s time to give them more credit. They loved these, they were all eaten, by all of us. 

Please give these a go, they aren’t as hard as you would think. Let me know how you go. 


Don't forget to check out our facebook page


Homemade fish fingers

Preparation time
10 minutes

Cooking time
8-10 minutes

Ingredients
400g firm white fish (ling, hoki)
100g plain flour
1 egg, beaten
120g fresh breadcrumbs
rice brain oil, for frying

Method
1. Cut the fish into fingers roughly 6cm x 2cm.
2. Place the flour, egg and breadcrumbs on their own plates. Coat the pieces of fish in the flour, then the egg and follow this with the breadcrumbs.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan and cook the fishfingers for about 2-3 minutes on each side until nicely golden. Drain on kitchen towel and serve. 

Serves 2 toddlers and 2 adults

3 comments:

  1. My best friend told me that her son is mad about that fish fingers. I have never tried to prepare them for my kids by I'll definitely try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found a kid who doesn't love fish fingers! So that's why i thought i'd have to give this a go. Give it a go and let me know what you think. I never really eat fish, but i loved these.

      Delete
  2. I always feel guilty that I don't really cook fish for my family -- I don't like seafood and never attempt many recipes with fish. I will try these -- maybe I will even have some!

    ReplyDelete