Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Chocolate beetroot brownies


A few weeks ago I was extremely happy for a number of reasons. I finally decided to make a beetroot and chocolate brownie. I’ve always wanted to make one but have put if off as I thought it would taste too much like beetroot and not enough like chocolate. Shamefully I will have to admit that I have rarely cooked with fresh beetroot so I thought it was going to difficult and messy but no it’s easy peasy (how old am I?)

The original recipe was delicious but I thought it was a little unhealthy, making the whole beetroot aspect almost worthless. So I made my changes and cooked another batch and would you believe that my brownie is better (even if I do say so myself!).

Please give this a try, it tastes just like a normal, moist chocolate brownie and the texture is just the same. I took this over to a friends house and none of the kids noticed anything, and I came home with an empty plate. I’m going to be making this again, it’s not hard and it tastes great.

Have there been any recipes that you have always wanted to make but have found them too daunting? I’d love to hear your comments on here or our facebook page. 

Chocolate beetroot brownies.

Preparation time
15 minutes

Cooking time
35 minutes

Ingredients
400g (2-3 medium beets) beetroot, chopped
150g Dark Cooking Chocolate
100g Butter
1tsp vanilla extract
200g brown sugar
3 eggs
100g wholemeal plain flour
30g cocoa powder

Method
1. Top, tail and peel the beetroot. Roughly chop and place into a large bowl. Add a splash of water, cover with cling film – pierced with a few small holes – then microwave on High for 10 minutes, or until tender.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter then line a 20cm x 30cm tin. Roughly chop the chocolate and cut the butter into cubes. 
3. Drain the beetroot through a sieve, then put it into a food processor with the chocolate, butter and vanilla. Whizz until the mix has melted and is as smooth as you can get it.
4. Using an electric hand mix, whisk the sugar and eggs in a large bowl for about 2 minutes or until thick, pale and foamy.
5. Spoon the beetroot mixture into the bowl with the whisked eggs. Then, using a large metal spoon, gently fold the beetroot into the whisked eggs, keeping as much air in the mixture as you can. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and gently fold in to make a smooth batter.
6. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until risen all over. Try to keep it slightly moist on the inside. Cool completely in the tin, then cut into squares.

Serves 15-20 squares


4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, brownies is one of my favourite sweets, and I have made many variants of it, but never chocolate beetroot. It will be very inetersting for me to try it and will make it this weekend for sure. I will share the result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear what you thought. Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sash, going to make these this week! We don't have a mic. Do I just cover with water and simmer in a pot???
    I'm having a toddler taste cook off these next few weeks in preparation for bub. What other healthy meals and treats are top of your list?
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I love this websire and these look great. Do you think tinned beetroot would work in this brownies recipe?
    I have a tin lurking in my cupboard!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete