Friday, March 30, 2012

Oat, apple and prune purée


Remember how exciting it was when our little ones first started to eat solids? I loved this stage; it was like a whole new world had opened up. It made me feel even more responsible for my bub as it was solely up to me what was about to go into her mouth. For baby number one I was all over the organic fruit and veg and I was trying new recipes all the time. Sadly I will admit that this changed for baby number two. The odd packaged meal crept in and we could no longer afford organic. But this recipe here was a favourite for both my girls. I added prunes to this as it really helps with constipation. 

What were your favourite purees that you made? 

Preparation time
2 minutes

Cooking time
10 minutes

Age group
Baby (6-8 months)

Ingredients
2 royal gala apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 1/2 cups water
3 prunes (de-stoned)
1/3 cup oats
dash of cinnamon

Method
1. Bring apples and water to the boil. 
2. After 5 minutes add the prunes, oats and cinnamon and continue to boil for another 5 minutes or until the oats are completely cooked though.
3. Blend mixture until the puree is smooth. Makes 4 baby serves

Find out more about why apples are good for your baby. 



2 comments:

  1. At 8-9 months E (now 2) would eat almost anything and I used to make a lot of vegetable (pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato) and lentil purees, they were basically the same as an adult thick soup. For sweeter ones she liked apple with strawberries, raspberries or cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this recipe, so simple and my 8 month old son absolutely adores it. It also freezes well too, and I add some full cream milk to it before serving, to make it of thinner consistency. He screams the house down when the bowl is empty!!

    ReplyDelete