Monday, October 10, 2011

This quiche gets everyone's tick of approval


I’m feeling old today so I admit to being a little down. You would think it was my b’day but it’s not. Yesterday we spent half a day putting together Miss F’s brand new BIG bed. We were all so very excited about this massive move. Miss F has been ready for this transition for a while but we’ve have been putting it off because it meant spending half a day out at IKEA. I don’t need to explain what those outing are like as I’m sure most of you have experienced this yourselves.  Needless to say we all came back in one piece and Hubby and I are still married! 

So the bed took us about 4 hours to construct. Hubbie was in charge of construction and I had the hard task of trying to keep the girls away from the screws, wooden planks, and the harsh swear words that were coming from Daddy’s mouth. 

After the bed was up, Miss F was jumping around having the time of her life. This is when the feeling of being old hit me like a brick wall. I saw myself doing the same thing when I was a kid. I now have a daughter that can jump out of her bed when she chooses to, she can have friends over for sleep over’s, she can jump off her bed and break a bone or split her chin. I guess the fact that I can remember myself doing all of these things has really hit home that I’m old and supposedly mature. 

Thinking about it now, I might also be feeling down because I haven’t had sugar for two weeks. Am I enjoying this new diet? No. Am I seeing the benefits? Yes (god dam it!). 

Well enough sulking for today, I’m supposed to rev you up and inspire you on a Monday. So here is a recipe that I have found on the heart foundations website. They have set up a great group that is called Mum’s united. I have signed up to their facebook page and it’s basically a forum where other Mum’s share their tips and tricks to help their families have a healthier life style. 

I was being brave when I decided to try this lovely recipe, as quiches have not gone down well in this household. In fact I never wanted to hear the word quiche again but time heals all and I thought why not, it sounded perfect. We were more successful with this recipe as Miss F loved the pumpkin, egg and pastry. Like with any meal she picked out her favourite parts. My Hubbie loved it and it was great for lunches as it kept in the fridge for a few days. 

Click here if you would like more information about Mums united.


Has there been something that your little ones have done that has made you feel old recently?

Ham, pumpkin and spinach quiche 

Ingredients
600g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces 
Olive oil cooking spray 
2 sheets frozen ready rolled reduced fat puff pastry, thawed
1 leek, pale section only, halved lengthways (see tip)
4 free range eggs 
100ml reduced fat milk 
100g 97% fat free shaved ham, chopped (Don brand)
25g baby spinach leaves 
3/4 cup reduced fat grated cheddar cheese (Mainland brand)

Method
1. Preheat oven to 200°C fan forced. Line a roasting pan with baking paper. Place the pumpkin the lined pan. Spray lightly with olive and season with pepper. Roast for 25 minutes or until tender and light golden.
2. Meanwhile, wash, dry and thinly slice the leek then place into a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with damp paper towel and microwave on High/100% for 11/2 minutes or until leek is soft. Set aside to cool.
3. Cut 23cm round from 1 pastry sheet and 3x5cm wide strips from the second sheet. Press the pastry round over the base of a lightly greased, 6cm deep, 22cm (base) springform pan. Use the strips to line the side, press strips and base together to seal. Place a sheet of baking paper over pastry. Half-fill with dried beans. Bake for 18-20 minutes until edges light golden. Remove the paper and beans and bake a further 10-15 minutes until the base is golden. Remove from the oven.
4. Whisk the eggs and milk together in a jug and set aside 5 minutes to allow the bubbles to subside. Combine the pumpkin, leek, ham, spinach and cheese then spoon into the pastry case. Pour egg mixture evenly over the filling, return to the oven and bake for 30 minutes (mine actually took about an hour) or until set in the centre. Stand 5 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.

Tip You can replace the leek with 1 large red onion, thinly sliced if you wish. 

3 comments:

  1. Nice photo! I so enjoy new and unusual recipes and this fits the bill, I will be trying it out with Sweetmeat squash and 'full fat' ingredients. You have more self control than I, the sugar bowl can stay covered at our house but never the butter, haha! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherri, sugar and i are now best mates again! And i too love m butter. I hope you have a great week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, interesting, Have never tried to mix pumpkin with spinach, but it is high time I tried something new... Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete