Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cheese and spinach pies (and a sneaky pasta dish thrown in)


At the moment we are stuck in pastaville. Every time I ask Miss F what she would like to eat, I always get the same excited response, pasta please Mummy. Sometimes I love this as I can make the same pasta dish for Miss F as I can for Little SS. I must mention this dish as it’s a bit of a fave at the moment. All I do is steam whatever vegetables I have in the fridge, often it’s pumpkin, sweet potato, broccoli and cauliflower. I then make up a tiny amount of white sauce. Mash the veggies, combine with sauce and pasta and hey presto, there is a healthy pasta dish that actually gets eaten. 

But I’m not here to talk about that; I’m here to talk about these lovely spinach and cheese pies (or cheesy pies and I told Miss F, best not to mention the spinach part to the littlies!). Angela sent this recipe into us and it proves to be a popular dish not only with her 18 month old but everyone in her family enjoys these and now I see why.

We made these today and they were delicious. I gobbled one down with Freya, I like to think of it as an entrĂ©e to my dinner (hmm, eat much Sascha?) These were soooo good. I made these in ramekins as I thought these would be great lunches for all of us the next day. Miss F actually ate about half of one of these. That’s great news in our household. Granted the spinach was all piled up on the plate, but everything else was demolished. So thank you Angela, these were great and will be a regular lunch for us. 


I hope you all have a great win. Ours is going to be full of rugby. Go Australia!

MAKES
5 ramekin sized pies. 

INGREDIENTS
2 or 3 leeks chopped
1 bunch English spinach- hot washed and drained well
250g ricotta
150g Parmesan grated
4 eggs
Filo pastry

METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 170
2. Wash, dry and thinly slice the leek then place into a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with damp paper towel and microwave on High/100% for 11/2 minutes or until leek is soft. Set aside to cool.
3. Mix cheese and eggs, then add spinach and leeks. 
4. Take fillo sheets and put into dish (any deep oven dish or ramekins) hang over edge. Layer. You can brush butter or spray olive oil between sheets if you want)
5. Pour cheese mix onto the layers.
6. Fold pastry edges over the top so completely covered and brush top with butter.
7. Cook until pastry is brown and the mixture has set (around 45mins)


1 comment:

  1. I have just prepared a dozen of these pies. They are really delicious. Thank you for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete