Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Banana & muesli slice


It feels like its been ages since posts. There has been so much going on here in our household. My lucky Hubbie was sent overseas for a couple of weeks for work. Little S is suffering badly from not only teething but separation anxiety, now there's a phase i had completely forgotten about. The minute I’m not smiling at Miss S the crying begins. I know it’s only a phase but it tends to get a little boring. 

The other day I received the greatest surprise when I opened up my Toddler Tastes email account, there was a pile of recipes sent in from readers. I can’t tell you how happy this made me. Thank you, that is what I wanted this blog to be about, Mums sharing recipes with each other.

So I’m back in the kitchen again and here’s the first of many recipes. This was sent if from a friend of mine from my mothers group. Michelle sent this in as she used to eat this even before her beautiful daughter Alyssa came along. That's the great thing, this slice is great for both young and old. 

As I have previously mentioned I’ve started a sugar free diet for a while. It was a strange experience for me to make a cake and not consume half the cake or slice before it has even been put into the oven. Once this came put of the oven I had the tiniest nibble and it was oh so good. Miss F absolutely loves it as well. I can’t tell you how much I want to give up this diet so I can have a piece (obviously the withdrawal phase is still happening). 

Thanks so much for this Michelle. I think this would be a great slice to make for a birthday party. It’s one of the healthier slices going around. 

Once again if you have recipe to send click here and for extra information, come to our facebook page.


MAKES
15 squares

PREP TIME
15 minutes

COOKING TIME
30 minutes

INGREDIENTS
100g butter
¾ cup firmly packed raw caster sugar
1 cup self-raising flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 ½ cups full fruit muesli
2 large bananas, mashed

Lemon glace icing
1 ¼ cups icing sugar mixture
2 tablespoons lemon juice

METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan. Grease and line a 19 x 29cm slice pan with baking paper, extending 5cm over each long side.
2. Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Stir in sifted flour and cinnamon, muesli and bananas. Spread mixture evenly over base of prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 minutes or until firm. Stand at room temperature until cold enough to ice.
4. To make lemon glace icing, sift icing sugar mixture into a bowl then slowly stir in enough juice to form a paste. Spread icing over slice and sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon if desired. 
5. Cut into squares and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Nice photo, they look great. I just sent this post to daughter and daughter-in-law for the grand kiddos. Thanks! - Congrats on getting all of the recipes from the other moms.

    ReplyDelete