Saturday, September 10, 2011

Will this honey date cake tempt you?


I’ve been MIA this week; things have just been so hectic with the girls. I don’t need to bore you with the details but sickness made it’s way back into our house again. I just don’t understand, as we all eat loads of vegetables, play outside, wash hands etc. I think I can claim the blame though as a couple of months ago I made a grand/stupid statement. I’d been reading on facebook about everyone’s sick kids and I stupidly said “aren’t we lucky, our kids are never ill” I was feeling cocky and thought that all of this was down to me and my efforts with homemade food. I now know that it just wasn’t our turn yet. I have also learnt that it’s a different story now that we have two little ones. They are always in each others face, so there is no way that one will not catch it from the other. Anyhow I’ve been rambling! Sorry. 

So here is a date loaf that I made the other day. I saw this recipe on the pack of my wholemeal self-raising flour pack. I love date loaf and I also have a new love of using wholemeal fours. They make me feel as though I’m being instantly healthy. I made pizza dough from this flour the other day and even though the topping wasn’t that healthy, I ate that extra bit of chocolate later on as in my mind the fact that I took the wholemeal option meant I DESERVED it!

This loaf was beautiful. I may have added extra dates because I just love them. This cake was super moist and was just perfect with a little butter on it. Miss F loved it. It’s cake, how could she not? This freezes perfectly. 

HONEY DATE CAKE
(Brought to you buy the Country women’s association of NSW)

INGREDIENTS
2 ¼ cups wholemeal self-raising flour
1 cup honey
1 cup water
1 tb golden syrup
30g butter
250g chopped dates
¾ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup chopped almonds
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp mixed spice

METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 180c conventional oven/160 c fan forced. Grease a deep 19cm square cake tin, line with baking paper.
2. Combine honey, water, golden syrup and butter in a saucepan. Stir constantly, without boiling, until butter is melted.
3. Stir dates, walnuts and almonds, into honey mixture; fold in sifted ingredients.
4. Pour into prepared tin. Bake for 50mins, or until cooked. Cool in tin. May be iced with lemon icing. 

May be frozen. 


5 comments:

  1. Yes. I am tempted to run to the kitchen right now and cook this. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love honey so this is quite the right temptation for me! Can't wait to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you guys liked this as much as we did?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great news Rick. Thanks for letting me know. I might actually get myself a slice from the freezer as i write!

    ReplyDelete