Friday, September 2, 2011

Enough about the quiche already



I feel like I’m stepping back in time when I think about quiche. It’s been years and years since I last ate a slice. I know they are still around and still make their appearances at cafes and bakeries. When I think of quiches it takes me back to a small town that I grew up in, Bowral. For a treat Mum would take us to a cafĂ© after school and we’d share a slice (might sound a little sad/deprived that we had to share but Mum didn’t want us getting too full before dinner). Oh how excited we would get about an over microwaved slice of quiche with the obligatory sprig of parsley on top!

I think the quiche is making a comeback. I’ve seen it on a few cooking shows recently, so I thought I would give it a crack. I cannot see how Miss F could not like it. It has pastry and cheese.

On her first bit she was so, so, so excited. Everything was sounding and looking great. There were even grand statements being made such as “ Mummy, I’m going to eat all of my dinner” I was over the moon, so much so that I was going to write and put up this post instantly so the whole world could jump onboard the Quiche train.

I then turn around to grab something for little S and something changed in the kitchen. All positivity left and suddenly Miss F jumped off the train and kept on running. The new statement of the night was “ I hate quiche, I can’t eat quiche”. I have no idea on what happened in that split second that I turned around but the news wasn’t good. I ended up cursing the F*#king quiche because it’s all I heard about for the rest of the night was “Mum, I can’t eat quiche, I don’t like quiche” it was going around like a broken record. Even when Daddy came home the record was playing for him as well. So NO MORE QUICHE in this household. I thought it tasted really nice but never again. I think you should give it ago, see how it goes in your house. I would love to know.

SERVES
6

INGREDIENTS
2 sheets ready rolled shortcrust pastry (I made my own as we didn’t have any in the freezer)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
5 rashers bacon, rind removed, finely chopped
1 cup grated tasty cheese
3 eggs
1 teaspoon plain flour
300ml cream
1/2 cup milk

METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a fluted 3cm deep, 23cm (base), loose-base flan pan.
2. Line base and sides of flan with pastry. Trim excess. Line pastry with baking paper. Half-fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Bake a further 10 minutes or until golden.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and bacon. Cook for 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Cool. Sprinkle over pastry. Top with cheese.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C. Whisk remaining ingredients and salt and pepper in a jug. Pour over bacon. Place onto tray. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve.

Recipe sourced from Taste.com.au

2 comments:

  1. Oh I laughed reading this. We have SO been there. Except ours was pumpkin soup. I've been thinking about trying quiche, partly because I'm craving it a bit, but I think it may be a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete