Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Oven baked veal meatballs




Here is a great recipe that has been sent in from Yvette. It makes my day when recipes have been sent in. I guess it’s how you feel when you read this blog; any ideas are a massive help to all of us. 

I’ve mentioned before that Miss F is like a little vegetarian so I was a little worried about these meatballs. I asked Miss F is she would help me make these, and I think that really helped. She saw two of her favourite ingredients going into the mixture, corn and carrot. So by the time that these were cooked she was really excited to try these. I kept the plating up extremely simple and just added a little of our homemade sauce and some cheese on top. I know it doesn’t sound like much but if I add too much sauce, she will only eat the sauce and will leave everything else. If I add veggies, she will eat all of those but no protein. So I kept it simple for this meal.

And how did we go? She liked it. She ate two balls. That’s good for her and considering the fact that she had been snacking all afternoon, I was happy. So once again, thanks so much for sharing this with us Yvette. If anyone has any recipes they can share, PLEASE do. Send them here.


INGREDIENTS 
500 g veal mince (or turkey, chicken or beef mince.. it all works)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 carrot, grated
1 brown onion, chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten (optional)
125 g creamed corn
1 cup dried breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon basil flakes
¼ teaspoon chilli powder
Pepper, to season

2 tablespoons oil, for frying (If you want to panfry them to get them brown then use the oil)

METHOD 
1. Add all ingredients, except oil, into food processor. Mix on medium for approximately 1 minute until well combined. If mixture is too runny, add a little more breadcrumbs. (personally i didn't put everything into the processor as our takes forever to clean and only comes out for special occasions!)

2. Roll into small to medium size balls and place on a plate. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to cook. 

3. Preheat oven to 180C (fan forced).

4. Place meatballs on a non-stick tray and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through. (you can push them down to become patties)

5. Once cooked and cooled - Flash Freeze these on a clean baking tray in oven then transfer to sandwich bags. 

NOTE
If you want the meatballs ‘browned’ you can pan fry them before putting them in the oven (I don’t do this as its less ‘greasy’)

I take 2/3 out for my toddlers dinner and put them with leftover tomato based sauce or on their own with rice or pasta.

3 comments:

  1. A great idea to have her help, especially with her favorites going in..they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delicious.I really want to try them so I'll enjoy preparing them in the weekend!


    London

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look GREAT! I'm a big fan of oven baked meatballs/patties/rissoles - the taste is so much better!

    ReplyDelete