Monday, August 15, 2011

Little (rice) balls of love



Happy Monday everyone. I hope you all had a great weekend. We went down to chilly Canberra for a lovely couple of days with our family.

Here’s a recipe that totally surprised me. I wanted to cook this Vegie smugglers recipe because I loved the look of these little balls. I’ve never really seen anything like them before and I thought that they looked like something that would capture Miss F’s attention. 

These were super easy to make. When I was making them I was cursing myself for not halving the recipe as Hubbie and I had a roast cooking and I didn’t think these would tickle our fancy. Boy was I wrong. These were a hit with all of us. They were so good, not unlike something that you would get at yum cha. The Hubbie and I went a little crazy with these. We needed a lie down after eating these and then the roast! So next time, we will all sit down together and this will be the perfect dinner for all of us (no roast needed). There are some dishes that I highly recommend and this is one of them. Give them a go and let me know what you think.

Something that has helped Miss F eat more, is a set of kiddie chopsticks that was given to her for her 2nd brthday. She just loves to use these and now the eating experience is more about play, so she forgets what she’s eating and it's more about getting something into her mouth. Give it a go, it’s worked for us. 

Also, we now have a facebook page that is up and running, so come and like our page. I’m trying to encourage everyone to take a quick photo of some of the meals that you cook, as it might inspire us for tomorrow night’s dinner. The photos certainly don’t need to be fancy, just grab your phone and snap away. 

SERVES
2 adults and 2 kids

INGREDIENTS
1 cup long grain rice
500g pork mince
3tbs soy sauce
1 egg
½ tsp cater sugar
3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and grated
½ cup mushrooms, very finely chopped
1 tsp crushed ginger
¼ tsp five spice

Dipping sauce
2tbs soy sauce
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
2tbs tomato sauce
1 tbs shaoxing wine (Chinese rice wine) or dry sherry or mirin

METHOD
1. Soak the rice in cold water for 30mins. Drain well and spread over a large plate.
2. Combine the rest of the rice ball ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use hands to roll into bite-sized balls. Roll the balls in the rice to totally cover. Set aside.
3. Line steamer with baking paper and place over a wok or saucepan of boiling water. Steam the rice balls in batches for 15-18mins until cooked through.
4. Combine all the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with rice balls with the dipping sauce. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sascha

    I really want to make these but I need to adapt them around Charlie's allergies and the fact that we can't get pork in Qatar.

    So...would it work with chicken or beef mince? and...what could I substitute for the carrot, he's not a big fan of sweet potato either.

    xLinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably go with chicken. What about trying zucchini? You could probably go with the sweet potato though as you can't taste the carrot so i doubt that you would be able to taste the sweet potato. Let us know what you try.

    ReplyDelete