Monday, August 8, 2011

Chicken sausage rolls with little vegie surprises


Here we are, can you see us? We are still stuck here in the land of the flu. I thought we were on the road to recovery but Little S and I are still swimming in tissues and Vicks. My taste buds have only just started to function again, so it’s time to hit the kitchen again. 

As you know, this blog is all about sharing recipes and helping each other out. Wendy from Vegie smugglers sent me one of her great cookbooks. These books are filled with not only great recipes, but they also have some great nutritional facts, hints about freezing and great facts about each vegetable and fruit. If you would like more information, head over to vegie smugglers

So thanks to the Vegie smugglers we have this great chicken sausage roll recipe. Miss F is a fan of the old sausage roll, so I had a feeling that she would be a great fan of these. There was no real surprise when she devoured one. There are a few things that I loved about these, they contain lentils and I have a freezer full of them now. These are so easy to make, there's no excuse not to make them! 

MAKES 
10 sticks (40 pieces)

INGREDIENTS
5 sheets frozen puff pastry
500g chicken mince
1 carrot, peeled, grated
1 zucchini, grated
1 onion, grated (or you can whizz these 3 ingredients to save time, but avoid pulping out all the texture)
3 medium mushrooms, finely diced
125g can brown lentils, rinsed, drained
1 egg
2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (basil and chives are good)
Salt & black pepper
1 egg, whisked, for glazing

METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Lay out your pastry sheets on a bench. Cut each in half to make 2 rectangles.
2. Mix together all the remaining ingredients until combined.
3. Spread the mixture lengthwise along the middle of the rectangles. Ease pastry over from one edge, brush egg along top side then roll other edge over to seal.
4. If cooking immediately, cut each stick into 4 pieces, place on an oven tray lined with baking paper, brush with egg and cook in middle of the oven for 25 minutes until golden and cooked through.


FREEZING & DEFROSTING INSTRUCTIONS
Prepare these quickly. Wrap uncooked sticks of sausage rolls in plastic wrap. Freeze immediately on oven trays to maintain their shape before transferring to plastic bags for an extra layer of protection. Defrost in the fridge (still wrapped in plastic) for 24 hours before cooking. Ensure they are completely thawed before cooking. Cut into four, brush with egg and cook for 25 minutes until steaming hot in the centre.


7 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try these! My toddler wont eat anything thats not junk food at the moment.. Driving me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Zoe! For such small people that can certainly rule the roost. Good luck and let me know hot it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this looks good! I've been trying several different recipes lately with hidden veggies to feed my 4 1/2 yr old & 3 yr old, but have only had great success with pureed spinach & zucchini hidden in the spaghetti bolognaise sauce...tho the trick is not to put in so much that the sauce turns green LOL. But I'm definitely going to try this one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you having zucchinis in your backyard. These are good aren't they. I pulled some out of the freezer for Miss F tonight, and she ate most of her dinner. To me that is a success story. Thanks for letting me know that you liked these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just baked a fresh batch, now need my little one to come from daycare and eat them! I ate one and they are delicious. I love your blog.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the veggie surprises here! My little girl hates veggies but with this one, I'm sure she'll love them!

    ReplyDelete