Friday, July 22, 2011

Wholemeal and oat berry muffins


The rain here in Sydney has been torrential for days now. So, I’m doing everything that I can to both stay indoors and to entertain the little ones. Baking is a favourite for both Miss F and myself. Something that I always stock in the freezer are frozen berries. So, after searching the net for some wholemeal muffins, this is the best recipe that I could find. The original recipe suggests using vegetable oil but I mixed thing up a little and used rice bran oil.

These turned out really well. They were (yes, they have already been consumed!) really moist and tasted divine. You will have to have more than one. Miss F and I certainly did!

PREP TIME
40mins

MAKES
12

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
1 cup rolled oats - can use quick cooking oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup rice bran oil
1 cup frozen mixed berries - can add more if you like alot
Milk to soften mixture (If needed ) 
Cinnamon (optional)

METHOD
1. Mix dry ingredients together.
2. Make well in centre and add the eggs, oil and milk and mix well. Mixture is meant to be quite dough like however if finding hard to mix add more milk. Once all mixed through, gently stir in blueberries. Place mixture into the large muffin tin (6 muffin tin).
3. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees for about 25 mins. Make sure they spring back when touched.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Kate, they really were good. I hope you enjoy the risotto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about rice ran oil. Is it a healthier oil than say canola or olive oil? I've heard about it but wondering what it tastes like etc. Ive also used coconut oil in baking which is delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just eating one of these out of the oven, yummo! Thanks, I had frozen raspberries and it's so good to eat them again, especially when they're so expensive fresh.

    I added 3 tablespoons of LSA as we haven't had any for a while.

    Ricebran oil works really well in baking I think, we're converted, we use it in all our frying now, heats to a really high point so great for stir fries etc too.

    Thank again!

    Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Francesca, I was going to pretend that I am some health expert but sadly I’m not. I’ve cooked a few cakes recently that ask for vegetable oil and I thought there must be a healthier option out there. When I was searching the shelves at the supermarket I noticed the rice bran oil and bought it as brown rice is healthy right?! It has a nice nutty taste to it. Here’s a little (slightly more) professional write up about it…

    What is rice bran oil?
    It is the oil extracted from the germ and inner husk of whole brown rice. Rice bran oil has a mild, nutty flavour. Promoters call it “The Healthy Oil” or “The Good Oil”. One label says rice bran oil is “nutritionally balanced, versatile and with a pleasantly subtle taste – perfect for BBQs, frying, baking and salad dressing”

    And and Sam says, you can cook it at a really high heat point so it's great for frying.

    Sam, i'm glad you made the muffins. Great tip re the LSA. I should have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These muffins look nice, and healthy, not like the junkfood they sell at the store. This is a great recipe, I am going to try it next weekend.

    RemovalsUK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Vlad, let me know what you think. These are way better than the bought muffins from supermarkets etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made these (substituted half the oil with mashed banana + threw in some milled flaxseed) and they are soooo good! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made these using olive oil & replaced 1/4 cup oats with desiccated coconut. Delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, these look great, it is quite a lot of sugar any suggestions to reduce it or a good substitute?
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete