Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pumpkin and pea risotto



………….I need to take a deep breath……………

We just had a photographer here to take a few shots of Miss F eating because my local paper is doing a story on this blog (yay!). So, I thought I’d cook up this risotto to be the featured dish, as I was certain that Miss F would love it.  

I’m generally very lucky that both Miss F and SS are very chilled and happy all the time. Te be honest, the only thing I was worried about with this shoot was the way I was going to look. Were my fine (not so fine) lines going to show? Were my love handles going to pop out from under my jumper? You know, the standard issues that we all worry about!

However, in walked the photographer, and with her so did two completely new personalities! I don’t know where my calm sweet girls went. Miss F refused to eat this risotto, she could have just said “no thank you” but instead she chucked a massive tantrum that went on for what seemed like hours. Meanwhile little SS is screaming her head off for no reason at all, must be teething!  

We have to wait till next week to see the end result but I know that it won’t be picture perfect, far from it. Miss F will have big red eyes and little SS might not have even made it into the final shot. I would have created more lines thanks to my frowning and embarrassment, my love handles were probably out for all to see as they were probably trying to escape the scene just as I wish I could have.

Thankfully, just as the two different personalities came in with the photographer, they also left with the photographer leaving behind a very calm house but one furious mother.

I used to direct shoots for parenting magazines, so I know what it’s like to work with kids that aren’t happy. But it’s completely different when the kids are your own. Wow, I’m speechless.

Soooo, back to the risotto. Just because Miss F didn’t eat it doesn’t mean a thing. I think it might have been the big camera that was in her face that might have turned her off the meal. I’ve just had this for lunch and it was beautiful. I added some parmesan cheese to mine. I will be freezing the rest for Miss F to try on a normal day.

Thanks Camille for sending this in to us. I switched the chicken to bacon, as that’s what we had in the fridge. Please keep the recipes coming in.


INGREDIENTS
1 brown onion diced
1 clove garlic
Half pumpkin cut into 1cm by 1cm pieces
4 chicken thighs cut into small pieces (I used bacon)
1 cup about Arborio rice
1L chicken stock
1 cup minted peas
Parmesan cheese (optional)

METHOD
1. Cook onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add pumpkin and chicken/bacon and brown.
2. Add rice, stirring to coat with all the oils in the pan. Add chicken stock to cover mixture and simmer, stirring. When stock is almost soaked up, continue adding, stirring occasionally.
3. Add minted peas near the end of the process so they can cook in the stock. Keep adding stock until the rice is cooked - it expands in size. Serve and enjoy. 


4 comments:

  1. Thank you, i've just checked out your blog and also love it. We seem to be on the same page. I'm now following, so i look forward to seeing what you get up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will always chose their moments. Congrats on the feature. Well deserved. Make sure you upload it onto FB or something when it comes out so we can see it. And the risotto looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids! They absolutely never behave when you really want them to do they? The risotto looks gorgeous, I'm going to try it next week :-)

    ReplyDelete