Thursday, July 7, 2011

Baked homemade chicken nuggets



What toddler doesn’t like the infamous chicken nugget? I think these are one of the staples that a lot of us would have in our freezers, right next to the fish fingers and peas. I’ve served up the frozen variety to Miss F on many occasions, but every time I do, i have a niggling guilty thought that asks “ what is really in these?”. When you look at the side of the packet there are numbers and ingredients that I have never heard of! 

So, I thought it was about time that I started to make homemade nuggets instead. It’s a very quick meal to prepare. The longest part is leaving the nuggets in the fridge for 30mins. 

Surprisingly, these taste great, we just had them for lunch. We have to eat these meals for lunch as I have to take the photos in the daylight! Miss F was very excited about having nuggets for lunch and we both loved these. I had sweet chilli sauce with mine, and Miss F stuck to her staple tomato sauce.  These will certainly be a regular meal for us. It’s so nice biting into these nuggets and knowing what exactly is in them. 

Give them a go and let me know what you think. You won’t be disappointed.


Don't forget to check out our facebook page for more information and tips.



SERVES
4

INGREDIENTS
2-3 chicken breast fillets (about 600g)
½ cup plain flour
2 eggs
4 slices day old bread
1/3 cup cornflake crumbs
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce

METHOD
1.Tear bread into pieces and whiz in a food processor to get fine bread crumbs.
2. Slice chicken breasts into bite size pieces. Put the flour on a large square of baking paper.
3. Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Mix breadcrumbs, cornflake crumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Coat the chicken pieces in flour, dust off, dip in egg wash and then coat in crumb mix. You may need to press the crumbs on. Place the coated chicken pieces onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C and bake the chicken for 10 minutes or until cooked through. To make the dipping sauce, combine mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce in a small bowl.
5. Serve nuggets with dipping sauce.

This recipe was sourced from Kidspot.com.au

3 comments:

  1. How funny, this is exactly what I just made for tonight's dinner! And then I turned on my computer to see this. Hilarious! They do go down a treat. I was shallow frying them but found they didn't cook well (ie burnt on outside not cooked enough inside). I baked them tonight for the first time and they worked a dream. I also make fish fingers and I use cornflakes for those. I'll email you the recipe. It's a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you made these the same night that I posted these. Too funny! I never have any luck shallow frying. Anything that looks burnt will not pass Miss F's lips!
    I'd love to see the recipe for fish fingers. I would love to start cooking more fish. As I don't eat much of it I tend to forget to cook it. I want Miss F to be a real lover of seafood. Send it on. And thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, my little one loves homemade chicken nuggets too. I just use Panko breadcrumbs and sometimes mix with cornflake crumbs, its just one less step not having to make the breadcrumbs first.

    ReplyDelete