Monday, July 18, 2011

Avocado dip with pita bread



I make this dip a lot for parties at Christmas time because of its beautiful colours. It always proves to be a massive hit so I thought I would try it out on Miss F. I have adapted the usual recipe for the young ones, as I know most littlies aren’t a fan of spicy foods. 

This is a very easy meal to make, but the only thing that catches me out every time is the 2 hours setting time. Every time, without fail I forget to allow time for this. I forgot again today but we still ate it for lunch without the setting time. It still tastes the same, it’s just a little messier to eat! 

Miss F and I just shared this whilst sitting at the table. It was a fun meal to eat. Miss F loved the whole novelty of dipping, and her love of avocados was confirmed.

This meal makes me want to cook some nachos next. I’m pretty sure that’s a meal that the whole family would love, and that would be a great dinner! 

PREP TIME
5 minutes (with 2 hours setting time)

SERVES
4

INGREDIENTS
2 ripe avocados, halved, stones removed, peeled
2 tsp fresh lime juice
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 x 300g ctn light sour cream
1 tbs taco seasoning
1 ripe tomato, quartered, deseeded, finely chopped
1 tbs coarsely chopped fresh coriander
3 Pita bread pockets

METHOD
1. Place the avocado in a large bowl and use a fork to mash until almost smooth and add the lime juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the avocado mixture into 2 small serving bowls and smooth the surface.
2. Combine the sour cream and taco seasoning in a medium bowl. Spread a thick layer of the sour cream mixture over the avocado mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours to set.
3. Preheat over to 180C. Cut pita bread into little triangles and place into the over for 5mins. Once they are dry and crispy remove and place on a plate. 
4. Combine the tomato and coriander in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the tomato mixture over the sour cream mixture to cover. 
5. Serve immediately with pita bread

4 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! I gave the toddlers each half an avocado the other day and then helped them mash it with lemon. They too loved the dipping aspect. This idea shall be next, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM. Will definitely be giving this a try. I love the idea of sharing it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummo! excited to be following through recommendation via fox in flats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, let me know if this is a hit or not with your little ones. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete