Sunday, June 26, 2011

Roast Cauliflower Soup




Winter is well and truly here so I was keen to source a soup for Miss F to try. We have never ventured down this path before so I was interested to see how it went. 

I found this recipe on a blog that I love to read on a daily basis – come parent with me. This recipe sounded perfect as it was simple and I already had all the ingredients at home. 

I think Miss F loved the novelity of the whole thing. I gave her some toast on the side it was almost like she was having toast with a giant pot of sauce! At first she wasn’t that keen but then I added a touch of cream to it and then she loved it.  Overall it took about 50 minutes from start to eating, and we made a big batch so we had lunches for a few days and made a contribution to the freezer!  Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS
500g cauliflower, broken into largish florets* and stems sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, finely diced (or 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli)
500ml chicken (or vegetable) stock
500ml water*
freshly grated parmesan cheese to serve (optional)
very best extra virgin olive oil to serve (optional)

METHOD 
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Place cauliflower on an oven tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper and roast for approximately 25 minutes until golden on the edges.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan and cook onion covered over a low heat until onion is soft but not brown. Add garlic and chilli and cook for a couple of minutes. Add stock and water and bring to a simmer.
3. When the cauliflower is ready, add to the soup and simmer, covered for an additional 10 minutes or until cauliflower is well cooked through. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Grate over cheese and drizzle sparingly with extra virgin oil, if desired.

NOTES
* I have roasted small florets in the past but I find the taste is better when the florets are large.
** I do half stock and half water because it allows the taste of the cauliflower to come through.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds good enough for big kids like hubby and me also. I sent it on to my daugther and daught-in-law so they could give it a try on the little ones in their house...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is certainly good enough for big kids as well. Give it a try and let me know what you think. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Thanks so much for passing this on, you've made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Loved loved loved it. And Harley demolished it so it's a winner for me. Looking forward to making many roast vege variations xxx

    ReplyDelete