Thursday, June 23, 2011

Nutty, fruity muffins







Here are some divine healthy muffins thanks to Fiona’s recipe that she shared with us. These are a great way of getting some fruit and nuts into our little munchkins.  We are a big fan of LSA in this household. We add it to our porridge, smoothies, yoghurt and have it on toast with honey. You will find these extremely easy and quick (less than 15mins) to make, it could almost be worth making a double batch. These are sensational. Our freezer in now full of them. Thank you Fiona, we all love these.

MAKES
12

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tbs mixed all spice
1/4 cup LSA (linseed, sunflower and almond mix, available at the supermarket)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
5 tbs rice bran oil
2 cups chopped pear
3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds
1 tsp cinnamon

METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Sift flour, sugar and spice into mixing bowl
3. Add nuts, seeds, pears, eggs and oil. Mix all together 
    (this mixture will seem extremely dry, but this is ok, 
    the muffins become moist when cooking).
4. Spoon into 12 large muffin pans
5. Bake until browned
6. Rest for five mins and then dust with cinnamon.

4 comments:

  1. These look and sound delicious. I haven't seen that LSA mix in my area or heard of it either, how nice to have it already mixed for you. These look healthy enough to make all the moms and grandmas feel good about giving them to their little ones. I am thinking that your 'mixed' all spice is not the allspice that I am used to as the one I use is a spice of its own.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me. I tried to follow you but blogger told me I was following the maximum of '300', yikes, I had no idea that I accumulated that many...Anyway, I tried to unfollow someone so I could fit you in but Blogger is on the rant again and isn't working in that area right now, but after it gets fixed I will follow you, as your blog is lovely (love the knives,forks and spoons).

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your wonderful comments Sherri. I'm new to this new world of blogging, it becomes very addictive doesn't it?! I look forward to watching your posts. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I have cooked the Nutty Fruitty Muffins and the Vegetable Loaf. My fussy 3 1/2 yo (one of the fussiest kids around) loved making them and also loved to eat them. Very happy about that, as he rarely tries new food. Cant wait to try some more recipes from your site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nat for letting me know. It's so nice to hear comments and know that this blog is helping other Mum's with fussy kids. Doesn't it feel like a miracle when they eat something that we cook. It's scary how excited i can get! Once again, thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete