Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Homemade play dough



Well the rain has returned and I was trying to think of something to do with Miss F. I wanted to do something a little different from painting etc. Making play dough was the perfect thing to do, as not only was it fun to work with but we got to make it together as well. Sadly we don’t have any essential oils at home but I will be buying some asap. Can you imagine playing with play dough that smells of sweet orange? Bliss. 

I found this recipe on a great blog that i discovered today 'Mouse house'

For the play dough you will need...
1 and a half cups of salt
3 cups flour
6 tbsp Cream of Tartar
3 cups boiling water
3 tbsp oil

Mix all ingredients together... ...then divide equally into smaller bowls and add a couple of drops of different food colouring to each bowl to make the colours you want (red/blue=purple, red/yellow=orange, blue/yellow=green)

Then add about 5/10 drops of each of your chosen essential oils to each bowl.  I used lavender, lemon, peppermint, eucalyptus and sweet orange.

This should keep our little ones occupied for hours and hours. Perfect! 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I found one recipe for homemade playdough that didn't work so well and I haven't tried since. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi sascha, glad you liked the recipe- I enjoyed playing with it as much as my girls as it smelt so good, have fun essential oil shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Megan, I found your blog yesterday and just love it. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us. I can't wait to go and buy some oils. I've been meaning to do it for ages and now i have the perfect excuse.

    Francesca, you're going to love it.

    ReplyDelete