Monday, June 13, 2011

Dea's savoury mini muffins


It's thanks to our friend Dea that we have this great mini-muffin recipe. We had a road trip planned for this afternoon, so I needed some little snacks to keep Freya occupied. At the moment I am trying really hard not to give Freya any packaged foods as snacks. I was starting to get a little lazy and was filling up her lunch bag with tiny teddies, etc. I worry about all the additives that are in all of these foods, so I'm trying to steer clear. I might find it all too hard but so far we are going well.  

Now, back to the mini muffins!  These were a real hit with both of us. Not only did they taste great, but they were really quick to make. Now that I'm going to try and make all of our snacks, speedy recipes are essential.  Prep. time only took about 10 minutes and the mess afterwards wasn't too bad. 

These tasted similar to the veggie slice that we cooked about a month ago. They are so yummy, I snack on them too and we now have a freezer full of them. Thanks Dea. 

INGREDIENTS
2 zucchinis
1 onion
3 diced bacon rashers
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup of self raising flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs

METHOD
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 C
2. Peel and finely chop the onion and grate the 2 zucchinis. 
    Combine with the grated cheese and diced bacon.
3. Place the oil and eggs in a bowl and whisk until blended.
4. Gently combine oil mixture and flour with all the other 
    ingredients. Mix well.
5. Spoon mixture into a greased mini muffin tray.
6. Bake at 180 C for 15 minutes or until cooked.

Makes up to 36 and freezes well.

3 comments:

  1. Do you know the funniest thing, I made a pact with myself when Archie was a toddler that I'd never buy Tiny Teddies for him. Only because I knew I'd become completely reliant on them as snack food. They're so fun and so tasty! So now, Tiny Teddies are actually treats for my boys. Having said this, I'm not too impressed by the lollies their father seems to pass their way on a frequent basis:(

    Our car food consists of Sakata crackers, fruit (my boys are fruit mad) and homemade biscuits. Just this year I've become religious about having homemade baked goods in the house. Partly, I admit for me and also for the boys. They are by no means always healthy but at least I know what's in them and can allocate them accordingly. I'm going to make these muffins as the boys are muffin mad (sweet ones) so will hopefully be into these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made a batch of these.. yum! Love lunch alternatives to sandwiches as my 18 month old just isn't that keen on bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made something similar to this on my blog: www.thisisyummum.com. LOVE your blog, so many amazing ideas for me to try, thanks! x

    ReplyDelete