Friday, June 17, 2011

Bliss balls


I’ve been searching around the net for some healthy snacks for the little ones. As I have mentioned before, I am trying to stay away from packaged goods, so I’ve been trying to find healthy recipes that allow me to freeze leftovers so I can pull them out when needed. 

I found this recipe on this great blog called ecomilf. Take a look, it's well worth it. 

These Bliss Balls are out of this world. I have to admit that I ate most of them so they didn’t even make it to the freezer. Consider these to be a chocolate replacement. They are even better than chocolate as there is less need to feel guilty. If there is one recipe on this blog that you need to make, I think this might be it. Not only are they tasty but they take just minutes to make. If you do make these, please let us know if you likes them as much as we did. 

Oh, and Freya loved these just as much as I did. 

MAKES
Around 12 balls 

INGREDIENTS
2 cups pitted dates
3/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup almonds
1 tbs dark cocoa powder (I just use normal cocoa powder)
Paste from 1/2 vanilla bean pod
Desiccated coconut

METHOD
1. Process the first 5 ingredients in a strong food processor for 
    30-45 seconds
2. Remove from processor and roll into small balls
3. Roll the balls in the coconut
4. Store in the fridge or freezer

14 comments:

  1. How funny, I love that website! Great recipes on there and some great ideas for baby food too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Francesca, i actually found that great website through a great blog...comeparentwithme.com!. I'm really excited to start making some of the baby food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sash, made the bliss balls on the weekend! YUM! amazing. Thank you. And I started dreaming about what you might have on here for Xmas! How sad is that. July arrives and I'm thinking about Xmas. What the hell???? Anyway I have some great Christmas recipes that I have to share.
    Donna & Harley xxx
    (PS can't seem to change my profile hence anon)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sascha, I LOVE the look and ease of this receipe. Howeverm I am not a big fan of dates. What can I replace them with please? Sultanas perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, i'm not sure if sultanas would work, they might end up tasting too sweet. If it's just a taste issue with dates, then i still think you should give them a go as they don't taste of dates as the coco powder makes them taste like chocolate. If you do try sultanas let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really looks yummy. Just one question though.. can I make lots of it and keep them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Gosh, these balls does really seem as a pure bliss!I have a major sweet tooth and am trying to not transmit it to my littlies, so am trying also to stay away from the packaged goods and so prepare more healthy options at home. But with this receipt you just hit the nail on the head- healthy ingredients and yet, so tasty! I am starting them right away! thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made these and OMG they're so good! Ending up making 2 batches as 1 just won't make it through the rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just make your bliss balls . They were so yummy. I love that they are healthy. My daughter is going to love them and I'm excited that I can make them and they taste as sweet as any processed sweet. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. These taste amazing! The only problem I had was that my processor wasn't powerful enough so I had to blitz it in small batches. They were still really easy to make, just took a little longer, so worth it! Thanks for the recipe :) oh, I subbed the walnuts with macadamias and used vanilla extract instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you please tell me how much vanilla extract, only one in the cupboard is imitation, will this work. Thanks

      Delete
  11. i'm keen to try these - do i use fresh dates and take the pits out, or do i use dried already pitted dates out of a packet?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like to use packet dates that have had their pits taken out. It's a lot cheaper and easier. I hope you enjoy these, i might make some up this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've just made these, using the pitted dates as suggested and they were amazing! so quick, easy and scrumptious. i think i might make some up for christmas instead of the usual truffles. thanks so much!

      Delete