Saturday, May 21, 2011

Vegetable loaf


I have to apologise for the lack of recipes over the last couple of weeks. I was offered a freelance project and I couldn't say no. So things have been a little crazy. But I now see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm really looking forward to getting back in the kitchen.

This recipe has been sent in to us from another old school friend Francesca. Thanks again to Facebook. This loaf is a real fave with her 3 adorable boys and now I see why. 

This is a great cake/loaf as it tastes like dessert but gives the kids an official serve of veggies. I know I’ve said this before but you wonder why we feed our kids things like banana bread etc when there are much healtheir alternatives out there like this. The great thing about this cake is that it tastes just like a normal (unhealthy) cake, but has healthy benefits for our little ones. This took about 10 mins to prepare and then cooked for just over an hour. So it’s not hard, and I’m sure most of you would have all the ingredients already in the pantry. 


As you can see below, Freya couldn't even wait for me to finish taking photos of this loaf. She set up camp right next to the loaf and hoovered down a piece in less than 5 minutes. This is a real hit with all of us. Thanks Francesca




INGREDIENTS
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar (I used 1 cup and i think that's all you need)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups grated vegetables ( zucchini, peeled sweet potatoes, carrots)

METHOD
1. Preheat overn to 180c.
2. Line loaf tin with baking paper
3. Sift flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder into a medium bowl.
4. Blend together oil, eggs and vanilla in a seperate bowl. Add grated veggies to the mixture. 
5. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
6. Transfer to load tin and bake for 1hr and 20mins or until a skewer is inserted and it comes out dry. 
7. Cool bread in tin on a rack for 15mins. 
8. Enjoy 

Note: This freezes really well. 




5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you guys liked it. I'm about to make another loaf now. They don't last long in our place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, do you think this recipe would work as muffins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, i don't see why not. The loaf comes out nice and fluffy. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I have posted my muffin efforts on my blog - with a big credit to you and your friend Francesca - they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi :)This recipe look great! I'm trying to steer clear of sugar, do you think mashed banana would work instead?

    ReplyDelete