Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Super easy home-made tomato sauce



I’m sure I’m not the only one who worries about how much tomato sauce the little ones seem to eat. Every meal has to have sauce for dipping. Sometimes I am asked to put sauce on cereal (of course I decline). Sometimes I think Freya thinks that the tomato sauce is the "main" and the rest are side-dishes! So, I was inspired to find a tomato sauce recipe that was all natural, but tasted like the store bought variety so the little one wouldn’t realise. 

Well this was the easiest recipe that I found, simple to make and it tastes beautiful. It looks, smells and tastes like store bought sauce but it’s much, much nicer in my opinion. Freya couldn’t tell the difference. She ate it all, so I’m happy. 

I paid about $11 for all of these ingredients (I already had all the spices in my cupboard). Considering this made four full jars it would work out to be cheaper than buying it. More importantly it’s all natural and I believe it tastes more wholesome than alternatives. 


MAKES
4 Jars

INGREDIENTS
3 and 1/2 kg ripe, juicy tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1 cup (250 ml) vinegar 
10 whole cloves
4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup (125 ml) white sugar
2 tsp salt

METHOD
1. Place the tomatoes in a food processor ( don’t peel them) with the garlic. Process till all mushy. 
(If you don’t have a food processor, roughly chop the tomatoes into 1-cm sized pieces). 

2. Put the cloves and cardamom pods onto a little square of muslin or cloth and tie in a bundle. Place the bundle into a deep thick-based pot and add the tomato pulp and all remaining ingredients. Mix well, bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the mixture has reduced by a third, or is slightly thickened.

3. This should take about two hours. Remove the spice bag, allow the sauce to cool slightly, and then whizz to a rough purée in your food processor. Pour the purée back into the pan and bring to the boil. In the meantime, sterilise four jars (about 250 ml each) and their lids. Pour the boiling sauce into the jars, filling to within a few millimetres of the rim. Screw on the lids tightly, and tighten again after half an hour hour.

4. Enjoy

From: Preserved by Nick Sandler and Johnny Acton. Published by Kyle Books.

1 comment:

  1. Really great way of preparing tomato sauce! thanks a lot for this!

    ReplyDelete