Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homemade muesli bars



I really wanted to make my own muesli bars as we seem to be buying them all the time. Freya loves all the ingredients that are in these so i thought 'why not?'. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to make these. It was really quick and they are beautiful. Once again I have eaten more than one slice. This blog is certainly not helping me get my pre-pregnancy body back! That excuse that I am breastfeeding might not work anymore! It's not that the food is unhealthy, it's just that I don't know how to stop at one. I'm sending the other 10 or so slices to my hubby's work so I don't have any more! One word of caution, they might be a bit tough for little people!  Frey was not a massive fan (but i was.....)!!


I have since made these again and this time i didn't push all the ingredients down into the tin, i just gently packed them in. This made them perfect. They were soft and Freya really enjoyed them. These really are a must to make. Oh, i also used 1/2 the sugar mentioned as they are sweet enough! 

MAKES
16

INGREDIENTS
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup wheatgerm
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 cup sultanas
125g butter
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar

METHOD
1. Grease and line a 3cm deep, 16cm x 28cm (base) baking pan with baking paper. Cook oats, coconut, wheatgerm, sesame seeds, sunflower kernels and pumpkin seeds in a frying pan over medium heat, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside to cool. Stir in sultanas.
2. Cook butter, honey and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, without stirring, for 7 minutes or until mixture forms a soft ball when a little is dropped into ice-cold water. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
3. Spoon mixture into pan. Use a large metal spoon to press down firmly. Allow to cool. Cut into squares. Store in a foil-lined airtight container for up to 7 days.

This recipe was sourced from www.taste.com

5 comments:

  1. Absolute winner in our household! Luca loves them and keeps saying 'more, more, more'... he agrees with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Akkim, it's so nice to hear that they are a hit. I'm going to be making more tomorrow ( for both me and Frey!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. my son eats way too many muesli bars. I must give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think your son (or you) will be disappointed! These are great. We are always making them. They don't last long. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. delicious is all I can say about these!

    ReplyDelete